Sunday 20 July 2014

Antique Hunting in Suffolk. 

Today was my first visit to the antiques fair at Suffolk Showground, just outside Ipswich. Ample parking close to entrance is a good thing I thought, on a hot day like today and with hope of later carting pieces of small garden furniture or perhaps an Art Deco hall mirror back to the car. An extra bonus this morning was a Car Boot fair right next to the antique fair and as I arrived 20 minutes before opening - it allowed me time to browse the boot fair and in my case eating a delicious ice-cream whilst browsing.

I love the outdoor stalls at summer antique fairs. This is, I am sure, where you will find the best bargains.  A bit dusty perhaps, but that does not matter. Dust is part of the treasure hunting experience. I spent some time looking at old postcards of stars of  stage and screen before the arrival of sound movies and musing over how our views of fashion and 'looking good' has changed. Bring back huge hats and the need for hatpins I say. Hats for men too look great, but perhaps without the pins....

I also looked at a dolls's house from the 1950s and I hope you agree that £50 is not bad for a detached 2-storey dwelling with furniture and fittings included. Inside stalls offered a mix
of silver, glass, Clarice Cliff and Sylvac dogs and rabbits - which seem to have a revival.

Highlights: German lava vases: don't just have one - buy 3 and put them together, then they look stunning in all their dark chunky brown and orange glory. But never alone...

Pictures: 
Keys. I find them oddly mysterious and quirky. These range from a couple of
pounds to the £100. Some you need 2 to open a lock. Another is a Folding Key...strange, but so well made and together they just look great in anyone's study.



Mickey. Mouse. So much nostalgia and quite frankly - we all love him. When first launched 
in 1928 he had both buck teeth and a tail  apparently - but it made him look scary so were removed. I love the colours and variety of collectibles on this interesting stall.





What did I not buy: No garden furniture nor an Art Deco Mirror.
What did I buy: A photo of Greta Garbo for my Art Deco frames 
and two whisky tot decanters. 

Next week: I am off to Ardingley, Surrey.



No comments:

Post a Comment